
In April of 2011, John Forslund, the first person to say, "Yes!" to me here, offered me a gig singing backup for some up and coming Broadway people. The gig was to be called "Theatre of Rock", and I would be singing back up for current Broadway stars Felicia Finley, Brenda Braxton, and working with music director Chris Blisset and Broadway director Paul Stancato.
Uh, yes please?!?! When do I start!?
I was thrilled! John had recruited me from his "Bound for Broadway" singers showcase, and I feel so fortunate to have come across his path. And apparently have made an impression! The concert was featuring some of Chris's new music and wrapping a reading of 4 new rock musicals into one evening.
Upon my first listen...I was really nervous. This music was like...rock, dude. It was rock, infused with some metal, infused with some hip hop elements, too. And I am so, so NOT a rock/pop singer. Rodgers and Hammerstein? Yes, absotively positlutely. Gilbert and Sullivan? I'm your gal. AC/DC and Janis Joplin? Uh....what? I thought, HOW am I going to pull this off?
Well, I learned. The rehearsals were a fantastic process...Chris, or "Red" as he told us to call him, was such a great leader and I really felt connected to the music. I snagged the featured solo underneath Felicia Finley in her number, "Closing Time", written specifically for her by Chris himself. I just used the breathing support and ear training I had learned in school and tried my best to blend with everyone else, and as it turns out, I felt like the fastest learner and one of the strongest listeners in the group. THIS ONLY EMPHASIZES my belief that if you wanna do music, no matter what kind of music, study that classical shit first. Train your ear, learn your theory, and ESPECIALLY if you're a singer....learn how to breathe. Once you've obtained these skills...you can do ANYTHING YOU WANT and be a smart musician.
The shows we were featuring were: Basquiat, the musical (a musical biography of the life of artist Jean-Michel Basquiat, a very prominent figure in the New York pop culture scene in the early 1980s. He died at age 27 of a drug overdose) Basquiat featured my favorite songs in the program, "Tom Song", which was an account of Basquiat's death...amazing number, and also Mudd Club, and Genius Child. The other shows featured were "Kung Fusical, the Kung Fu Musical", and the "Country Christmas Show".
Crazy thing?! So when I decided to move to New York in January, I spent some time surfing the web about new musicals and potential venues that I should keep in mind and keep updated on. And what did I stumble on? A posting for music from "Kung Fusical, the Kung Fu Musical". NO KIDDING. And here I am, 4 months later, performing THIS MUSIC ON A STAGE with the guy who wrote it!! I remember that name specifically because, let's be real, how could one forget that name?
The concert was fantastic...my pants almost dropped when I got up on stage to sing with Felicia. I couldn't hear a damn thing because the guitar and drums were so loud, but I just trusted my instincts and rehearsal, and just let myself go with her. Red told me to sing out like it was a contest with Felicia, but, just let her win. Of course. Felicia was great. She was definitely a huge personality, but very friendly to all of us. A diva in the nicest way, in a way that I hope to be later in life.
I will never have a voice like Felicia's. But that's okay! Felicia has a specific kind of voice, very poppy and very cut-through-the audience vinegary in a fascinating way. She owns any room she walks into. And I LOVE that about her.
So, after the concert, we were invited to sing with Red and Felicia the FOLLOWING night at Therapy, a club in midtown, not far from the Theatre District. Again....YES PLEASE!!! The opportunity to sing with Felicia and Red in yet ANOTHER venue that I can put on my resume?! Awesome.
This has turned into something even further...I'm singing with Red and Felicia AGAIN on the stage where it all started. John has invited us to be special guests at his show at the Duplex in a few weeks! So excited! Yay for doing what I came here to do!
No comments:
Post a Comment