Thursday afternoon was one of the most perfect "start of summer" days I could imagine. I met Katie, Jen and Katie's mom and Aunt Linda at "The Frying Pan", a very famous summer-time hang out. The Frying Pan is a bar, restaurant and grill all on a BOAT off of 26th St at Chelsea piers. It was SO, SO COOL! We started with Bloody Mary's and then moved to the roof of the boat for some wraps and coronas. I feel so at home with Katie's family. They are very similar to my own, so I feel right at home. They were so kind to offer me an invitation to come spend some time at their yacht club in New Jersey this summer, I can't wait!
Then, yesterday, after my rehearsal for Sunday's show, I was all a-twitter with inspiration. I ended up having lunch with Eric, another featured singer in the production, and listening to his experiences in the city. I'm ALWAYS, always inspired talking to people who are in the business. After lunch at this really cute Thai place (with and AWESOME $7 prixfix lunch special....) I walked around the theatre district. It was warm and sunny, and kind of took me right back to when I was here 3 years ago. I looked at all the theatres and wondered what it would be like to actually be coming here to WORK. And everyday, too, except Monday. If you're working the way I want to work, you are working 6-10 hours every day, on weekends and through holidays.
I love it. Thinking about it makes me tingly.
I let myself sweat in the sun and enjoyed the heat. I've been longing for warm weather ever since I got here, and it's HERE. I stopped in the theatres for "How to Succeed" and "Phantom" to see if they offered any student rates...which they didn't. No big. I'll figure it out some other time.
After my stroll I worked myself to the bone at the gym (getting in better physical shape is just something I need to make a priority every day. If I am pursuing a career in entertainment, this is just what people who are successful DO. They are active. They are active DAILY and they eat well. And they are cut. I need to become this.) I was inspired there to cook a feast!!!
It was such a lovely evening. I invited Dayna, William and Geoff over for my feast of homemade mango and cucumber salsa, and baked bell peppers stuffed with turkey, garlic and spices. Throw in a few glasses of cheap malbec, and you have yourself a feast! We sat on the couch and the floor in my living room, since I have no proper dining space, and talked about weddings and Germany and theatre and New York. I love them. I could not manage to survive in this city without knowing that they are there. I also love these times of being able to spontaneously plan these lovely get togethers. I love that my life isn't in any kind of routine, that I can pick up and take off wherever I want to when I have the free time. I love being in the same place as my loved ones, and I LOVE not being tied down to anything. It's a great life, and I really need to soak up every second of it!
No comments:
Post a Comment