And so I begin.
Just your typical story. 4 weeks ago, on January 25th, 2011, I got off the train at Penn Station with 2 suitcases, $500, a heart full of dreams and a head full of determination. I had a job lined up, a few industry contacts, a map of the subway in my head and a very important support network of friends. I got straight to business. I found a furnished sublet upon my 2nd day in Astoria and didn't waste any time going to auditions.
And, as I expected, I was challenged. Balancing a 7 hour host shift which requires talking over a bar full of 200 people, blaring drunk music followed by a 7 am singers call, doing it all over again and trying to afford rent, a subway pass, and a week's worth of ramen noodles isn't for everyone. I am loving every minute of it.
I am hungry for this life. I am, right now, in exactly the right place at the right time in the world. I have high ambitions and expectations, but I have to remind myself to be realistic and be smart in my approach. I wanted to document some of my early words of wisdom to myself so I can remember them when I get down.
1) SHOW UP.
It's been said before, "Showing up is half the battle." Actually, it's WAY more than that. If you can just GET yourself to wherever you're going, no matter how early, no matter what it is, you can usually get something from it. Even if it's just a chance to practice the art of auditioning, you will gain something. At least for now, in the early stages of things.
2) PAY ATTENTION.
Don't get all "artisty" getting lost in your iPod or your music or daydreaming about whoever the yummy looking man who was making eyes at you on the subway was. Pay attention, because if something changes, or they call your name, or 50 people ahead of you aren't there, you'll want to hear it when the monitor makes an announcement.
3) SPEAK THE TRUTH AND LOVE.
Everyone there is trying to do what you are too. So, sympathize. It isn't necessary to be overly nice or fake with anyone, but you never know who is watching you in the waiting room, who is standing next to you in the elevator, OR who you could be working with 6 months from now.
4) DON'T BE ATTACHED TO OUTCOMES.
It's NOT about you. It's about the audience. Always. It's a business, and you're the product. So separate who you are from what you do as a performer as much as possible. "Rejection" isn't because you're a gigantic loser...it's because you don't fit the product. Not personal.
No comments:
Post a Comment