Friday, February 25, 2011

Lunch with Aunt Betty and Uncle Geoff

Yesterday, my very dear aunt and uncle from Atlanta were in town briefly for a doctor's appointment. I wasn't happy about the circumstances, because Uncle Geoff isn't really well, but I was overjoyed to see them, especially since I've missed the last 4 consecutive family gatherings.

They took me to Brasserie on 53rd and Lexington Ave...and were sweet enough to offer me anything on the menu. With all my options, what do you think I ordered? A cheeseburger, cooked rare. Yummmm!!! Honestly, with all this ramen noodle eating, a solid serving of beef really is a treat for me. We had such a great time, they talked about old fun times they had in New York in their early twenties, right when they had starting dating. I've always loved spending time with Aunt Betty and Uncle Geoff...and I know it's been important to my mom for me to grow up with them. They have such a strong marriage. I began talking about how many of my friends had started to pair off, forgetting that the two of them have been together for over 4 years...married for 37.

I began to think about how blessed I would be to have such a marriage. No, it hasn't been easy. But I feel like Aunt Betty and Uncle Geoff truly embody the vows you think of when married. They are also such a great match for each other, even 37 years later. They fit into each other's families. They come from similar backgrounds....it just makes me really reflect when I think about the life that I want as I move forward. It really just makes sense to be with someone who has a similar background, I think. As experimental and adventurous as I am, there are some things that will never change. I don't know where I'll want to live or what I'll be doing, but I know exactly what kind of home I want.

Having lunch with them also brought me a little down to earth. I am so happy that I am here pursuing a career in singing, and each and every day is new and exciting. However, should I get really lucky and continue forward, I know that singing alone won't make me completely happy. Being here so far, I have learned that I'm really the most happy as long as I'm surrounded by people that I love and trust. If I can be creatively stimulated in addition to that, I could never ask for anything more. I know that I want a family and a home where I can give and love and nurture. I want that more than singing, because, at the end of my life, I predict I will be much more fulfilled at Thanksgiving with a table full of family than a drawer full of programs.

Aunt Betty and Uncle Geoff, and my mom, of course, have been crucial in instilling this value in me.

So, piece of wisdom for the day: KEEP YOURSELF SURROUNDED WITH PEOPLE YOU LOVE, AND YOU'LL NEVER BE UNHAPPY.

No comments:

Post a Comment